a small winter break project

If you’ve noticed an absence of posts in recent weeks, it’s because of the end-of-semester rush followed by three weeks of winter break. I’ve been doing a fair bit of reading and some basic programming practice, but not much worthy of writing about. To remedy that, I undertook a small project that could serve as a template for a contribution to a poetry project of my brother-in-law’s. Following the steps and code laid out in Dr. Healey’s text analytics page, I used Python to parse and analyze five poems (using each poem as a “document”) and Gephi to visualize the resulting TFIDF pairwise similarity network (using the “Expansion” layout):

Read More

fun with tableau

The following is an image I created in Tableau for our Marketing & Customer Analytics homework. We identified three clusters for a marketing campaign. We had too may variables to come up with a nice scatterplot, so I opted for profiling the clusters through the means for each variable. I was pretty happy with how clean it looked, although I did debase myself somewhat by adding a pie chart.

mini update

Thanks to Dr. Healey and the CS department at NCSU, I now have a crontab that auto-executes a Python program once every hour, which in turn updates this webpage. I can only work on it from school so the progress is slow, but at the moment it will print a statement about the most recent stats on the It’s On Us pledges.

The code is also storing the values in a CSV file to be later parsed by d3 and fed into some visualizations. More updates to follow - hopefully people continue to sign this pledge so I can have more than just a constant value to visualize!